Labels

Monday, October 31, 2011

Vegetable Stock

Wow...I can't believe it's been over 2 months since my last blog post. Life's been busy, and I've been trying to adjust to my wife's decision to step beyond being vegetarian, and move into being vegan. Of course, this happened right after I discovered how to make homemade paneer (an Indian cheese, which I'll blog about later). Despite my initial resistance, I'm slowly embracing her choice.


In the fall and winter months I like to make soups. The key to a good soup is to start with a good stock. Though it's possible to buy stock from the grocery, I prefer to make my own. Stock is fairly easy to make, but it takes a bit of time. Fortunately, once the ingredients are prepared, it's just a matter of letting it simmer. Today, we're looking at making Vegetable Stock. This recipe is one I've been using for a while, but feel free to use vegetables you have on hand, and your favorite seasonings. If you know you're going to be making stock, try saving some of your vegetable scraps from other meals you prepare (once they've been cleaned of course!). 


Not only do I use this for soups, but also for making rice, beans, quinoa, as a braising liquid for kale and heartier vegetables like brussels sprouts, as the base for sauces, etc. Basically, most places where you use water, you can substitute stock to add additional depth to your flavors.






Ingredients:



  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups celery, coarsely chopped (approx. 4 ribs)
  • 2 cups carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped (approx. 4 carrots) 
  • 1 cup broccoli stems, trimmed, peeled and coarsely chopped (approx. 2 stems)
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (I leave as much of the onion skin on as possible for color)
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I use baby portabellas)
  • 2 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped)
  • small bunch parsley/cilantro
  • 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 Tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 1 Tablespoon whole coriander
  • 1/2 Tablespoon whole mustard seed
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 8 cups water




In large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat and sweat all vegetables except mushrooms and cilantro. 



Once vegetables and aromatics become fragrant and release some of their moisture (approx. 10 minutes) add water and remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let ingredients continue to "steep" in water for 20 minutes - 1 hour. 



Strain stock through fine mesh sieve or china cap. Makes approx. 8 cups stock. Refrigerate and use within 1 week, or freeze in ice cube trays for later use.




No comments:

Post a Comment