Labels

Friday, December 30, 2011

The BEST Brussels Sprouts

I admit it...brussels sprouts used to freak me out. Don't get me wrong, I've always LOVED these tasty little morsels, even as a kid. I used to pretend that I was eating miniature cabbages.


What freaked me out was this - if bean sprouts grow up to be beans, and alfalfa sprouts grow up to be alfalfa, then what do brussels sprouts grow up to be? Also, I never had fresh brussels sprouts till I was an adult. I only had the frozen variety that you dumped in boiling water, or steamed in a microwave. Yet, I still loved them, preferably soaked in butter.


As an adult I've experimented with fresh brussels sprouts: steaming, roasting, sautéing, with bacon - they're all good, but this has been my favorite "go-to" recipe for a while.








(shown with roasted pepper quinoa)










Ingredients:


  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (I use baby portabellas)
  • 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed, cleaned and cut in half
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1/4 cup butter (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (optional)
  • Salt
  • Coarse sea salt for garnish



In large skillet (with tight fitting lid), heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat and saute onions till soft. Add mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes till soft. Reduce heat to medium and move onions and mushrooms to sides of skillet and place brussels sprouts, cut side down in skillet. Let them cook without turning for 2-3 minutes, or until they sear to a golden brown. Toss brussels sprouts and mushroom/onion mixture together, seasoning with salt for 2-3 minutes, then add the vegetable stock directly to the mixture and cover, allowing the mixture to steam for 5 minutes. Uncover, toss the mixture a few times (adding optional butter and cider vinegar) and serve garnished with a sprinkling of coarse sea salt.


Consider making a double order and use the rest for Brussels Sprouts Paninis!

1 comment: